A more healthful variation on the classic Argentinean pastry, these empanadas call for whole-wheat flour and are baked instead of deep-fried.
- 2 empanadasServings
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 4 Tbs. cold soy margarine, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 Tbs. white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 2 bananas, peeled and diced (1 cup)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. red pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
1. To make Crust: Sift flours, salt, and chili powder in bowl. Mix in margarine with fingers until mixture resembles coarse meal. Whisk together applesauce, vinegar, and 1/3cup cold water in separate bowl. Stir applesauce mixture into flour mixture until textured dough forms, adding up to 1/4 cup more water, if necessary. Knead on lightly floured surface until dough comes together. Form into ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill 1 hour, or overnight.
2. To make Filling, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion 4 to 5 minutes, or until soft and translucent. Add beans and garlic, reduce heat to medium, and cook 3 minutes. Stir in bananas, cumin, cayenne, and coriander, and cook 2 minutes, or until bananas begin to break down and spices are fragrant. Remove from heat, and stir in cilantro and red pepper sauce.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F. Divide dough into 12 balls. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Roll out each ball to 6-inch round (1/4-inch thick) on lightly floured work surface. Fill with 2 Tbs. Filling, and brush edges of pastry with water. Fold dough circle in half, press to close, and crimp edges with fork to seal. Transfer to prepared baking sheet, and repeat with remaining dough balls and Filling. Chill 10 minutes. Bake empanadas 20 minutes, or until golden brown and crusty. Cool 5 minutes on baking sheet before serving.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 364
- Carbohydrate Content: 60 g
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 748 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g