Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
These morning treats are a lot more healthful than they taste. Ground flaxseed gives them a slightly nutty flavor while providing a dose of omega-3s. If you can’t find flaxseed meal, grind whole flaxseeds in a coffee grinder until powdered.
1. Place cereal, buttermilk, and flaxseed in bowl of food processor, and pulse to combine. Let stand 30 minutes, or until cereal is soft. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
2. Add 3 bananas to cereal mixture, and process until smooth. Add sugar, egg, and oil, and process until smooth.
3. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in bowl. Add to cereal mixture in food processor, and pulse until smooth.
4. Fill each muffin cup with ½ cup batter. Slice remaining banana into ½-inch-thick rounds, and place on tops of muffins. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until muffin tops are browned and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks.
- Serving Size Makes 12 muffins
- Calories 252
- Carbohydrate Content 48 g
- Cholesterol Content 18 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 201 mg
- Sugar Content 24 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g