Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Overripe bananas can be frozen and saved for baking. Thaw them just long enough so that you can peel and mash them easily. Note: Be sure to use whole wheat pastry flour; regular whole wheat wont work. If you cant find it, regular pastry flour will work instead.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Coat 12 standard muffin pan cups with cooking spray.
- Combine bananas, buttermilk, sugar, wheat bran, oil, egg white and vanilla in large bowl; stir just until blended.
- Combine both flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl, and whisk to blend. Add banana mixture to flour mixture and stir just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared cups. Bake 15 to 18 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove from pan, and cool on wire rack.
- Serving Size Makes 12
- Calories 207
- Carbohydrate Content 36 g
- Cholesterol Content 2 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 274 mg
- Sugar Content 14 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g