“The cold ice cream and hot rum sauce signify the complementary energies of yin and yang, female and male,” says Stanford Inn by the Sea coproprietor Jeff Stanford. The serving size is generous—if you’re counting calories, make just one dessert to share.
- 3 Tbs. unsweetened coconut
- 2 Tbs. vegan margarine, divided
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 Tbs. dark rum
- 2 firm bananas, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 cup coconut, strawberry, or chocolate vegan ice cream
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread coconut on small baking sheet, and toast in oven 5 to 7 minutes, or until light brown and fragrant, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Set aside.
2. Combine 1 Tbs. margarine, brown sugar, and 2 Tbs. water in small saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in rum. Return to heat; cook 1 minute. Keep hot.
3. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. margarine in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add banana halves, cut-side down, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until browned. Carefully transfer to 2 serving plates.
4. To serve: Top banana halves with ice cream, and drizzle with rum sauce. Sprinkle with toasted coconut.
- Serving Size: Serves 2
- Calories: 630
- Carbohydrate Content: 102 g
- Fat Content: 25 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 16 g
- Sodium Content: 144 mg
- Sugar Content: 81 g