For these mouthwatering burgers, shiitake mushrooms, chipotle chiles and a blend of tangy spices combine to create a wonderfully robust flavor. Seitan gives the patties body, vegetables keep them moist, and the bread flour and cornmeal help bind the other ingredients.
- 2 tsp. canned chipotle chili in adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat bread flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 tsp. medium-hot chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 8 whole-grain buns, split
- Avocado slices, tomato slices and mesclun (mixed baby salad greens) for serving
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 12 oz. seitan
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and finely chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp. celery seed
- 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- Drain seitan, squeeze to remove excess liquid then roughly chop–you should have 2 cups. Transfer to food processor and pulse until broken into small but distinct pieces. Set aside.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, green pepper, mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon salt, oregano, thyme, celery seed, mustard, ginger and cayenne. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes. Transfer sautéed vegetables to large bowl. Add seitan pieces and chipotle and mix well.
- In medium bowl, mix together flour, cornmeal, chili powder, cumin, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Gradually stir flour mixture into seitan mixture until well combined. Using 1/3 cup for each and packing firmly, form mixture into 8 round patties.
- Prepare a hot charcoal fire or preheat gas grill to high. Place burgers on grill rack, brush tops with some barbecue sauce and cook 5 minutes. Turn burgers, brush with more barbecue sauce and cook about 4 minutes. Serve hot on buns with remaining barbecue sauce, topped with avocado, tomato and mesclun.
- Serving Size: Makes 8
- Calories: 215
- Carbohydrate Content: 33 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 675 mg