Quick-cooking barley is the key to success with this sturdy main course. Begin the meal with a light vegetable broth garnished with snipped chives, and serve lemon sorbet for dessert. This makes about 5 1-cup servings.
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 2 to 3 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 13.75-oz. can roasted red peppers
- 9 oz. vegetarian “meatballs”
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup snipped parsley for garnish
- Cook barley according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cut peppers into long strips, and add to skillet with “meatballs” and mushrooms. Saut8E mixture for 5 minutes, and season with salt and pepper. Stir in cooked barley, and saut8E for 2 or 3 minutes more, adding 2 or 3 tablespoons water to prevent sticking if needed.
- To serve, remove from heat, and spoon mixture onto individual plates. Garnish each serving with parsley.
A fruity, rich Merlot such as Virginia’s Jefferson Vineyards Merlot would be an excellent match for this “meat” and mushroom dish.
- Serving Size: SERVES 5
- Calories: 290
- Carbohydrate Content: 33 g
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 570 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g