30 minutes or fewer
A fruity ale adds a special flavor note to this grain-based salad. Be sure to drain the barley very well before tossing it with the other ingredients.
- 1 1/2 cups ale or beer
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 15-oz. can soybeans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup diced dried pineapple
- 1 navel orange, peeled, sectioned and cut into chunks
- 4 oz. crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans for garnish
- Combine ale and 1/2 cup water in saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add barley, and cook according to package directions. Drain well, rinse under cool water and drain again.
- Meanwhile, put soybeans, carrots, pineapple and orange in large bowl. Toss with Gorgonzola cheese. Add barley, toss again. Garnish with pecans. Serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 370
- Carbohydrate Content: 42 g
- Cholesterol Content: 15 mg
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 330 mg
- Sugar Content: 12 g