Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
This side dish calls for barley flakes, a quick-cooking form of barley.
- Heat shortening in large saucepan over low heat. Add onions, garlic, herbes de Provence, tamari soy sauce, salt and pepper. Mix, and cook for 8 minutes.
- Place mixture into mixing bowl, and add bread, breadcrumbs, tofu, brewers’ yeast and cheese. Using electric mixer, beat until well blended. Stir in barley flakes, then stir in egg until well blended.
- Shape mixture into 3-inch rounds. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. When hot, panfry patties until browned on both sides. Remove from heat, drain on paper towels and serve.
Andrea Immer writes in her new book Great Tastes Made Simple, “earthy food is yummy food, and it is also wine-loving food.” Virtually every ingredient in these croquettes has an earthy aspect to its flavor, making them an affable match to an earthy wine. Try Côtes-du-Rhône Rouge Réserve Grand Veneur.
- Serving Size SERVES 4
- Calories 300
- Carbohydrate Content 33 g
- Cholesterol Content 60 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 260 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g