Quick-cooking barley prepared risotto-style cooks up in the same amount of time as regular risotto.
- 3 no-salt-added vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 cups quick-cooking barley
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 3 large shallots, chopped (1 cup)
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and sliced
- 12 oz. baby spinach (8 cups)
- 1 8-oz. pkg. baked garlic-herb tofu, cubed
- 3 Tbs. grated vegan Parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh chives
- Place bouillon cubes and 6 cups water in large glass measuring cup, and heat in microwave 5 minutes, or until boiling. Stir to combine.
- Toast barley in skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes, stirring often. Transfer to bowl.
- In same skillet, heat 1 Tbs. oil over medium heat. Add shallots, and sauté 4 minutes, stirring often. Return barley to pan and cook 2 minutes, stirring often. Stir in wine, and cook 3 minutes, or until liquid is almost completely absorbed. Add 1/2 cup bouillon and sun-dried tomatoes, and cook 4 minutes, or until liquid is almost completely absorbed, stirring constantly. Add spinach a few handfuls at a time, and cook until spinach is wilted. Continue adding bouillon 1/2 cup at a time, and stir and cook 5 minutes, allowing barley to absorb most of liquid before adding more. Stir in tofu, and cook 8 minutes, or until barley is tender. Stir in remaining 1 Tbs. oil, Parmesan, and chives.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 373
- Carbohydrate Content: 54 g
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 18 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 366 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g