Avoid last-minute fuss by preparing the dressing and all the components up to 2 days in advance; toss together just before serving. Or save time with quick-cooking barley: In step 2, use 1 1/2 cups barley, 2 1/2 cups water and 1/4 tsp. salt; bring to a boil, and cook, covered, 10 to 12 minutes.
- 2 tsp. freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped shallots
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar snow peas or snap peas, stems and strings removed
- 1 medium-sized red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup grated carrots (3 to 4 medium)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives
- To make Dressing: Combine all ingredients except olive oil in bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Set aside.
- To make Salad: Mix barley, 2 1/2 cups water and salt in large saucepan; bring to a boil. Lower heat and cook, covered, 40 to 45 minutes, or until barley is tender and most liquid is absorbed. Transfer to large bowl, and let cool, fluffing to prevent sticking.
- Cut peas in half on diagonal. Cook in large saucepan of lightly salted water, or steam them until just tender, about 2 minutes. Drain, and refresh under cold running water.
- Add red pepper, carrots, parsley, chives and peas to barley; toss to mix. Drizzle with dressing, and toss well.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 190
- Carbohydrate Content: 24 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 230 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g