Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Avoid last-minute fuss by preparing the dressing and all the components up to 2 days in advance; toss together just before serving. Or save time with quick-cooking barley: In step 2, use 1 1/2 cups barley, 2 1/2 cups water and 1/4 tsp. salt; bring to a boil, and cook, covered, 10 to 12 minutes.
- To make Dressing: Combine all ingredients except olive oil in bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Set aside.
- To make Salad: Mix barley, 2 1/2 cups water and salt in large saucepan; bring to a boil. Lower heat and cook, covered, 40 to 45 minutes, or until barley is tender and most liquid is absorbed. Transfer to large bowl, and let cool, fluffing to prevent sticking.
- Cut peas in half on diagonal. Cook in large saucepan of lightly salted water, or steam them until just tender, about 2 minutes. Drain, and refresh under cold running water.
- Add red pepper, carrots, parsley, chives and peas to barley; toss to mix. Drizzle with dressing, and toss well.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 190
- Carbohydrate Content 24 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 230 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g