Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
For even more flavor, serve with fresh berries.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan. In coffee grinder or small food processor, grind flaxseeds. Transfer to blender along with 1/4 cup soy milk; let mixture soak 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, sift both flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- To mixture in blender, add maple syrup, oil, vanilla extract, cider vinegar and remaining 1/2 cup soy milk and blend thoroughly. Gradually add maple syrup mixture to flour mixture, mixing well with wooden spoon.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake until cake pulls away from sides of pan and is firm with a little spring to the touch, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes in pan.
- To remove from pan, run knife around edge of pan and turn cake out onto wire rack. If desired, using pastry brush, spread warm Rice Syrup Glaze over cake.
- Serving Size 10 servings
- Calories 267
- Carbohydrate Content 45 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 299 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g