Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
We’ve used whole cranberries in this all-purpose recipe, but any combination of fresh or dried fruit and nuts will do. Try substituting chopped frozen dark cherries or diced apple or pear in place of the cranberries.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F for muffins, 350°F for loaf or miniloaves. Coat 12-cup muffin tin, 9- x 5-inch loaf pan, or 3 6- x 3-inch miniloaf pans with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in bowl. Beat butter, oil, and sugar in large mixing bowl with electric mixer until creamy and pale. Add egg, orange zest, and vanilla, and beat until smooth. Alternately fold in flour mixture and orange juice, making 3 additions of flour mixture and 2 additions of orange juice. Stir in cranberries and 1/2 cup almonds.
3. Scoop batter into prepared pan(s). Smooth top(s), and sprinkle with remaining almonds. Bake muffins 18 to 22 minutes, large loaf 50 to 60 minutes, or miniloaves 35 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. Loosen edges, and turn out onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Serving Size Makes 1 loaf, 3 miniloaves, or 12 muffins
- Calories 173
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 23 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 190 mg
- Sugar Content 13 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g