Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
These stuffed cabbage leaves are nestled in a layer of sauerkraut and tomato sauce. Try to find a good size cabbage so you will end up with large leaves, and then you can add plenty of filling to each. This dish can be entirely assembled up to 24 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate, then bring to room temperature before baking.
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onion, celery and bell pepper; season with salt. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and garlic. Cover and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth and rice; season with freshly ground pepper. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, 15 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff rice with fork. Stir in parsley; set aside.
- In large pot, bring 1 inch water to a boil. Place cabbage in water, cored side down. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Remove cabbage from pot. As soon as possible–using fork if necessary to grab leaves–peel off first 4 leaves. Return cabbage to pot, cover and cook 5 minutes; peel off 4 more leaves. You will need 8 leaves. Cover leaves with plastic wrap. (Reserve remaining cabbage for soup.) When leaves are cool enough to handle, carve off as much tough ridge as you can from center of leaves, cutting flush with leaf.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Drain sauerkraut in colander. Rinse briefly then squeeze out most of liquid. Place sauerkraut in even layer in medium to large shallow casserole (13 x 9-inch). Top with 2 cups tomato sauce.
- Place about 3/4 cup of rice in center of each leaf. Fold up sides and place stuffed leaves, seam side down, in casserole. Spoon remaining 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce over cabbage. Cover with foil and bake until bubbly and heated through, about 45 minutes. Check after 30 minutes and if it seems too liquidy, remove foil during last 10 to 15 minutes of baking. Serve hot.
- Serving Size 8 servings
- Calories 252
- Carbohydrate Content 45 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 79 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g