30 MINUTES OR LESS
A warmed-up adaptation of a popular Thai salad, this light dish calls for a trip to your Asian market for the tofu nuggets, bean thread noodles and tamarind concentrate. Tofu nuggets are prefried cubes of tofu. Bean thread noodles, made from mung bean starch, absorb water readily, but be sure to soak them while still tied up with their string or the noodles will be difficult to manage.
- Soak bean thread noodles in water for 10 minutes. Bring 4 cups water to a boil and place eggplants in water to poach. Reduce heat to medium and cook, turning often, for about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat large skillet over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons oil. Stir-fry garlic and, when golden, remove from pan. Add 2 sliced shallots and stir-fry until golden. Add remaining oil and heat tofu cubes through, browning slightly. Remove from heat.
- When eggplants are tender, remove from heat, drain and set aside to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, slice into 2-inch-long pieces.
- To create sauce, combine vinegar, sugar and tamarind concentrate in small saucepan and heat over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Trim noodle bundle in half and add to skillet with half dressing mixture and garlic. Let noodles heat through and absorb liquid, cooking and stirring over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Remove noodles from skillet and place in serving dish. Top with tofu and eggplant.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and remaining sliced shallots and pass with remaining sauce.
Trebbiano is a white wine grape exported from Italy to France and locally renamed Ugni Blanc. Although lighter in every way, Ugni Blanc shares taste characteristics and food affinities with Sauvignon Blanc. Try Domaine de Pouy Cépage Ugni Blanc.
- Serving Size Serves 4
- Calories 550
- Carbohydrate Content 51 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 18 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 120 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g