Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Here’s one for the kids, and, since the filling is made from convenience products, you can put it together in no time. This makes a great casual Friday night dinner.
- In 4-quart Dutch oven or flameproof casserole, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 8 minutes. Stir in beans, tofu dogs, mustard and salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, while you prepare topping.
- Preheat oven to 400ûF. In medium bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make well in dry ingredients. Add buttermilk all at once. Stir just until mixture is blended and dough pulls together. Let dough sit 2 minutes.
- Dust dough with flour and transfer to floured work surface. Knead 4 or 5 times, then pat into circle as large as the top of Dutch oven. Using sharp knife, cut dough into 2-inch squares. Place dough squares over hot beans.
- Bake until topping is lightly golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size Serves 10
- Calories 360
- Carbohydrate Content 61 g
- Cholesterol Content 13 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 18 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 931 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g