A savory dish with a great blend of flavors.
MEAL PLAN: Serve with a mesclun salad topped with thinly sliced cucumbers and dressed with a traditional mix of olive oil and vinegar.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 2 x 1-inch strips
- 2 yellow bell peppers, cut into 2 x 1-inch strips
- 1 tomato, cored, seeded and finely diced, or 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add bell peppers and cook, stirring often, 2 minutes. Cover and cook until peppers are soft and browned all over but not mushy, about 7 minutes.
- Add tomato, garlic and salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, uncovered, stirring often, about 7 minutes. Stir in basil and parsley. Keep warm over low heat.
- Make polenta: In medium saucepan, bring broth and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil. Slowly drizzle in cornmeal, whisking continuously. Reduce heat and cook, whisking continuously, until polenta reaches the consistency of soft mashed potatoes, about 5 minutes. Whisk in butter and cheese.
- Spoon mound of polenta on each serving plate and top with vegetables.
- Serving Size: 4 Servings
- Calories: 328
- Carbohydrate Content: 36 g
- Cholesterol Content: 13 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 321 mg