Reprinted with permission from Smart Plants © 2019 by Julie Morris, published by Sterling Epicure.
- ½ cup amaranth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries (such as strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or monk fruit sugar
- ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup unsweetened vanilla yogurt
- ½ tsp almond extract (optional)
- 2 tbsp slivered almonds (optional)
1. In a small pot, add amaranth and 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and gently simmer, uncovered, until amaranth is chewy and tender and a thick porridge has formed, 15–20 minutes. Stir mixture frequently during the last few minutes to avoid burning.
2. Meanwhile, place berries in a small, separate pan over low heat and warm until the fruit has completely defrosted and is juicy, 2 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in maple syrup and cinnamon, and cover to keep warm. In a bowl, whisk together yogurt and almond extract, if using.
3. Divide amaranth porridge into two bowls. Swirl in yogurt mixture, berries, and their juices. Top with almonds and serve warm.
Add a brain boost: Top each bowl with a tablespoon of goji berries.