Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Use any combination of fresh berries, about 1 cup per person. At home, serve these with whipped cream or ice cream.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease 8 to 10 muffin cups, or line with paper liners.
- Whisk together flour, 3/4 cup sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. In separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, melted butter, egg and vanilla. Make well in center of dry ingredients, add buttermilk mixture and stir just to combine. Overmixing makes cake tough.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full. Sprinkle tops with 1/4 cup sugar.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Remove from oven, and cool. Leave cakes in muffin tin, and, when cool, wrap in plastic bag for transporting to picnic.
- Mix cleaned berries gently. Put thawed raspberries in blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and process until dissolved. Strain to remove seeds, if desired. Pour over berries. Mix and chill.
- To serve, break each cake in half horizontally, and place bottom in bowl. Spoon about 1 cup of berries over bottom of cake, and cover with cake top.
- Serving Size Serves 8 to 10
- Calories 380
- Carbohydrate Content 68 g
- Cholesterol Content 35 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 190 mg
- Sugar Content 49 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g