Mari Kermit-Canfield lives in Bloomington, Ind., where she loves to cook up veggie meals. We went bananas for her Caribbean fusion burritos. Top each burrito with a dollop of store-bought mango salsa, or try Mari's own recipe, which can be found at vegetariantimes.com/spicymangosalsa.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 2 very ripe plantains, peeled and diced
- 1 14-oz. can organic black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbs. ground cumin
- 1 Tbs. hot sauce (habanero or cayenne is best)
- 11/2 tsp. adobo seasoning, such as Goya
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- Prepared mango salsa, optional
1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add red onion and garlic, and sauté until browned. Stir in plantains, and cook 5 minutes.
2. Add black beans, cilantro, green onion, cumin, hot sauce, adobo seasoning, coriander, and pepper; cook 5 more minutes.
3. Spoon filling into warmed corn tortillas; top with cheese and mango salsa, if desired; roll up; and serve.
- Serving Size: Makes 8 Burritos
- Calories: 256
- Carbohydrate Content: 39 g
- Cholesterol Content: 15 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 507 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g