Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
These all-vegan burgers offer complete protein, and the unusual tempeh crisps provide an additional protein-filled treat. As an alternate garnish, use thinly sliced onions for a jolt of color.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- To make Black Bean Burgers: Combine black beans, brown rice, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, scallions, chili powder and catsup in food processor, and process, adding just enough water to blend, until smooth. Form into 6 equal-sized patties, and chill 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, to make Tempeh Crisps: Toss tempeh strips with chili powder, salt and pepper. Spread strips evenly on sheet pan, and bake about 15 minutes, or until browned and crisp. Remove from oven, and set aside.
- Heat skillet over medium heat, and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Add patties, cooking 5 minutes on each side, or until heated through. Place each burger on whole wheat bun. Garnish with crisps and favorite condiments.
Beer and burgers are a time-honored match, so why mess with a good thing? Grab a frosty mug, pour in some of San Francisco’s famous Anchor Steam Beer and go for the gusto!
- Serving Size SERVES 6
- Calories 490
- Carbohydrate Content 81 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 16 g
- Protein Content 26 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 820 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g