The vegan cornbread topping on this spicy bean chili gives it just the right touch and may be used in other recipes, such as Beans and Franks Pot Pie (see recipe). Serve with guacamole and thinly sliced romaine lettuce dressed with a lime vinaigrette.
- In 4-quart Dutch oven or flameproof casserole, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add onion and pepper and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. In small bowl, mix cumin, chili powder, coriander, cocoa and salt to taste.
- Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil and spice mixture to pot; stir 1 minute over medium heat. Add remaining ingredients; gradually bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer 7 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding more salt if necessary. Remove pan from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Make topping: In medium bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make well in center of dry ingredients. Add water and oil to well and stir until blended. Let batter stand 2 minutes. Pour batter over chili and spread evenly (it will be thin).
- Bake until topping is cooked through and chili is bubbly, 25 to 30 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 383
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 366 mg