- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup dried black beans, soaked overnight
- 2 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, frozen if not in season
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Lime juice
1. Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, cumin, cayenne, and red pepper flakes, and sauté until onion is almost soft.
2. Drain beans. Add beans, chili powder, and vegetable stock or water to onion, and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat and simmer at least 1 hour, until beans are tender.
4. Add salt, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, and lime juice. Stir and serve.
- Serving Size: Makes 4 servings