Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
These patties are a wonderful main dish and may be served with tomato salsa, guacamole or cheese sauce. You may use frozen corn in this recipe, though it is also a great use for day-old corn on the cob.
- Mash black-eyed peas coarsely with potato masher or electric mixer. Set aside.
- If using frozen corn, put kernels in food processor, and purée. Set aside. For cob corn, use a sharp knife to slice halfway through corn kernels, then slice kernels off cob into bowl. Use back of knife to scrape off remaining corn.
- Heat 1 Tbs. oil in skillet, and add garlic, jalapeños and cumin. Sauté 2 minutes, and add corn. Reduce heat to low; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Mix mashed peas, corn mixture, scallions, cilantro and salt; cool. Form into 8 patties about 1-inch thick and 4 inches round in diameter.
- Heat large nonstick griddle over medium heat, and brush with remaining 1 Tbs. oil. Cook patties 5 minutes per side, or until golden, crisp and heated through. Serve hot.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 190
- Carbohydrate Content 32 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 300 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g