Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
These spring rolls are delicious served as an appetizer or a light main dish. Note to vegans: Most egg roll wrappers are made with cornstarch, flour and water, but some contain eggs. Check labels.
- Put carrots in 3 cups boiling water, and cook about 15 minutes, or until very tender. Drain, and set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbs. oil in 2-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, ginger and serrano chiles, and sauté about 2 minutes, until soft and fragrant.
- Add mashed black-eyed peas, and cook mixture about 10 minutes, or until it dries. Add green peas, carrots, salt, garam masala, coriander, lemon juice and cayenne. Mix, and set aside.
- Place egg roll wrapper on counter with one corner pointing toward you. Shape 1/4 cup mixture into 3-inch-long log, and place it on wrapper, parallel to edge of counter and far enough above closest corner to be within edges of wrapper. Fold corner over filling, fold sides over tightly and roll tightly to far corner. Moisten corner with cornstarch mixture to help keep roll closed. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling. Set aside, or cook immediately.
- Heat 2 inches oil in skillet over medium heat. Fry 3 or 4 rolls at a time about 5 minutes, until crisp and golden. Keep hot in 250F oven. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 340
- Carbohydrate Content 57 g
- Cholesterol Content 5 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 390 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g