Pureéd apricots replace much of the fat in this delicious cake and add flavor. Black-eyed peas make this cake moist.
- 2 cups dried apricots
- 2 cups cooked, drained and rinsed black-eyed peas
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs or 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 2/3 cup golden or regular raisins
- 1 cup chopped pecans, optional
- 1/3 of 8-oz. pkg. fat-free cream cheese
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 12 chocolate drops or stars
- 32 dried apricots
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease and flour 2 8-inch cake pans, or grease and line pans with circles of parchment.
- To make Cake: Cook apricots in 2 cups water, about 12 minutes, until very soft. Measure out 1 cup apricots and liquid, and set aside. Put remaining apricots and liquid in blender, and purée. Add peas, and purée.
- Put oil, brown sugar and eggs in mixing bowl; beat on high 3 minutes. Mixture will look creamy. Whisk flour, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda and baking powder in separate bowl.
- Pour egg mixture over purée, and fold together. Gently fold in flour mixture. Fold in raisins and pecans, if using. Pour into prepared cake pans.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire rack.
- To make Frosting: Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until creamy. Beat in remaining ingredients. Frosting should be soft; it will firm upon sitting.
- Place one cake layer on plate, and spread reserved apricots evenly over it. Top with second layer. Spread frosting evenly over top and sides of cake.
- To decorate, cut apricots into slices. Place chocolate drop on cake, and arrange 8 apricot “petals” around it (skin side up). Repeat until cake is covered.
- Serving Size: Serves 12
- Calories: 290
- Carbohydrate Content: 55 g
- Cholesterol Content: 55 mg
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 200 mg
- Sugar Content: 35 g