Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Pureéd apricots replace much of the fat in this delicious cake and add flavor. Black-eyed peas make this cake moist.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease and flour 2 8-inch cake pans, or grease and line pans with circles of parchment.
- To make Cake: Cook apricots in 2 cups water, about 12 minutes, until very soft. Measure out 1 cup apricots and liquid, and set aside. Put remaining apricots and liquid in blender, and purée. Add peas, and purée.
- Put oil, brown sugar and eggs in mixing bowl; beat on high 3 minutes. Mixture will look creamy. Whisk flour, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda and baking powder in separate bowl.
- Pour egg mixture over purée, and fold together. Gently fold in flour mixture. Fold in raisins and pecans, if using. Pour into prepared cake pans.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire rack.
- To make Frosting: Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until creamy. Beat in remaining ingredients. Frosting should be soft; it will firm upon sitting.
- Place one cake layer on plate, and spread reserved apricots evenly over it. Top with second layer. Spread frosting evenly over top and sides of cake.
- To decorate, cut apricots into slices. Place chocolate drop on cake, and arrange 8 apricot “petals” around it (skin side up). Repeat until cake is covered.
- Serving Size Serves 12
- Calories 290
- Carbohydrate Content 55 g
- Cholesterol Content 55 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 200 mg
- Sugar Content 35 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g