Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
These pancakes, which are remarkably crisp outside and tender inside, are hearty enough to serve anytime. You can make this recipe into waffles if you prefer.
- In large bowl, sift cornmeal, pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda and maple sugar. Set aside.
- In separate medium bowl, whisk eggs well. Whisk in buttermilk, milk, butter and almond extract until well combined. Pour liquid into dry ingredients, whisking until mixture is moistened and combined. Using rubber spatula, mix in blueberries.
- Heat heavy, medium skillet over medium-low heat. Lightly coat pan with oil. Pour 1/4 cup batter per pancake into skillet. Cook until small holes appear on surface of hotcakes, 3 to 5 minutes. Cook until hotcakes are firm in center when lightly pressed with your fingertip. Transfer hotcakes to plate. Repeat, until remaining batter is used up. Serve hotcakes as they are made, so they remain crisp.
- For garnish, cut bananas lengthwise into thin slices, or slice crosswise. Arrange slices on each hotcake. Drizzle 2 to 3 tsp. Red Chile Honey over warm hotcakes and serve.
- Serving Size 8 servings
- Calories 366
- Carbohydrate Content 51 g
- Cholesterol Content 133 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 245 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g