Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Bluefoots are cultivated versions of wild blewit mushrooms, and they have a wonderful texture and aroma. While bluefoots tend to be available only from specialty stores, mixed exotic mushrooms are often sold in packages in the produce section of gourmet groceries. This mix of cremini, shiitake and oyster mushrooms is a common one. Whether you use bluefoots or a blend of mushrooms, this risotto is a palate-pleasing dinner entrée. To use leftovers, form them into patties, and brown them in olive oil to create tasty rice croquettes.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat and, when hot to touch, add 1/8 cup olive oil and heat until fragrant but not smoking. Add chopped mushrooms and sauté gently until softened, stirring occasionally, 10 to 12 minutes. Add salt and pepper and scrape mixture into bowl.
- In saucepan, bring water or stock to a boil and keep it simmering. Wipe skillet with paper towel and heat again. Add remaining 1/8 cup oil and heat over medium heat. When fragrant, add chopped onion or shallots and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until translucent but not brown. Add rice and stir to coat with oil.
- Add wine and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring continuously and increasing heat to medium, if needed. In 1/2-cup increments, add boiling water or stock, stirring after each addition, not adding more liquid until all is absorbed. Stir often and avoid adding too much liquid.
- After 15 to 20 minutes, liquid should be absorbed and rice creamy with a slightly chewy center.
- Remove from heat and stir in mushrooms, cream, cheese and chopped arugula or parsley. Stir until melted and combined, and serve immediately.
The main components of this dish—mushrooms, leafy greens, black pepper and Parmesan cheese—will match well with Cabernet Sauvignon. Try Bonterra Vineyard’s Organically Grown North Coast Cabernet Sauvignon. The tannins are a good match with the olive oil, cheese and earthiness of the mushrooms, letting you savor the fruit in the wine.
- Serving Size SERVES 4
- Calories 570
- Carbohydrate Content 72 g
- Cholesterol Content 25 mg
- Fat Content 22 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 300 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g