A touch of cream mellows and sweetens the fennel. Use a slotted spoon to drain the slices for serving, or spoon up the fennel with all its liquid and offer hot Tuscan bread to sop up the juices.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly rub 21/2-quart casserole with olive oil.
- Slice away and reserve fronds from fennel bulbs. Cut thin slice off bottom of each bulb, and remove any bruised outer leaves. Mince enough of fronds to make 4 tablespoons, and discard remainder. Mix minced fronds with Parmigiano-Reggiano, and reserve.
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Slice bulbs from top to bottom lengthwise in 1/2-inch-wide slices. Transfer slices to boiling water, and cook until half done, for about 5 minutes. Drain, and place slices in casserole. Add vegetable broth, cream, fennel seed, salt and pepper to casserole. Broth should partially cover fennel. Add more broth, if needed.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano mixture, and bake for 15 minutes more, or until golden.
- Remove from oven, and serve hot or lukewarm.
- Serving Size SERVES 8
- Calories 80
- Carbohydrate Content 9 g
- Cholesterol Content 10 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 110 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g