Adding an apple to the cabbage near the end of cooking gives this traditional German dish a delightful taste and texture contrast.
- 1 medium-sized red onion, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 small head red cabbage, halved, cored and thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 1/4 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup port or apple juice
- 1 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tart apple, such as Granny Smith, cored and thinly sliced
- Combine onion, cabbage, fennel seeds, port, vinegar and salt in large saucepan. Cover, and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes, or until vegetables are partially sofened.
- Reduce heat to low, and stir in apple slices. Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes more, or until cabbage is tender. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 45
- Carbohydrate Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 110 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g