Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Typically packed in water, extra-firm tofu has a spongy texture and is the best choice for marinades and dishes for which a lot of handling is required.
- To make Tomato-Miso Marinade: Combine boiling stock, tomato paste, miso, tamari soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, vinegar and thyme in a bowl.
- Place tofu on a cutting board, and slice tofu in half horizontally. Make 4 cuts in a cross-hatch pattern to create 18 cubes. Put cubes in a nonreactive container, and add marinade. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- To make Peppers and Portobellos: Heat oil in a 14-inch stir-fry pan or wok for 1 minute over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onions. Saut8E for 3 minutes, and remove from heat.
- Remove tofu from marinade with a slotted spoon, drain slightly and discard marinade. Add to pan, and, turning tofu gently, brown on all sides, for about 5 minutes.
- Add peppers and mushrooms, and continue to cook, stirring frequently. Add wine, tamari soy sauce and thyme, reduce heat to medium-low and cook mixture for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 130
- Carbohydrate Content 10 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 191 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g