These sweet, spicy pickles are great on sandwiches and will keep several weeks in the refrigerator.
See alsoHeirloom Tomato Salsa
- About 3/4 pound medium pickling or Persian cucumbers, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- A pinch of celery seeds
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
1. Sterilize a 1-pint Mason jar and lid with boiling water. Drain and air-dry. Tightly pack the cucumber slices into the jar.
2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring 1/4 cup water, the vinegar, sugar, salt, mustard seeds, turmeric, celery seeds, and red pepper flakes to a boil. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour the hot liquid over the cucumbers, fasten the lid, and refrigerate for 3 days before eating, to allow flavors to develop.
Recipe printed with permission from D.I.Y. Delicious, by Vanessa Barrington (Chronicle Books, 2010).