Bread puddings seem to be universal favorites, and this strawberry-studded dessert will be no exception.
- 1 pint strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced
- 4 Tbs. granulated sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbs. Grand Marnier, optional
- 6 slices sourdough or other white bread, about 1-inch thick, crusts removed and bread cubed
- 8 oz. whole strawberries, hulled and halved
- 2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 2 cups skim milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 8 oz. whole strawberries, hulled, for garnish
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted, for garnish
- To make Strawberry Compote: Sprinkle berries with sugar, and add lemon juice. Let sit 1 hour. Add Grand Marnier, if using, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To make Bread Pudding: Spray 8 3/4-cup ramekins with cooking spray. Toss bread cubes with halved strawberries in mixing bowl; set aside.
- Combine lemon zest and milk in saucepan, and bring almost to a boil over medium heat. Using electric beater, beat eggs and sugar in bowl until well blended. Add vanilla, cinnamon and almond extract. Gradually add hot milk, whisking constantly to prevent eggs from setting.
- Pour egg mixture over strawberries and bread, and let stand 15 minutes. Scoop bread mixture into ramekins, filling each almost to rim. Spoon any remaining egg-milk mixture in bowl over tops of each.
- Bake about 30 minutes, or until set. Remove, and garnish with whole berries and almonds. Serve, and pass with Strawberry Compote.
- Serving Size: SERVES 8
- Calories: 290
- Carbohydrate Content: 47 g
- Cholesterol Content: 105 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 340 mg
- Sugar Content: 22 g