Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Chef Carl Stanton of McLean, Virginia, shared a recipe for Breaded Brie, a dish that is fried in oil and incorporates cheese, fitting a Chanukah meal perfectly. Use regular unseasoned breadcrumbs or the Japanese panko crumbs if you would prefer cheese with a crunchier exterior. Either way, this is a festive dish.
- Cut each wheel of cheese into 6 equal-sized wedges. Combine breadcrumbs, cilantro and almonds, and set aside. Combine flour and white pepper in separate mixing bowl.
- Coat cheese wedges in following order: flour mixture, buttermilk, flour mixture, buttermilk and breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil to medium-high, or 350F. Add cheese, and cook about 1 1/2 minutes. Using tongs, remove from oil, and drain well on paper towels. Serve with jalapeño jelly for dipping and apple or pear slices, if desired.
This sumptuous starter can be matched with a dry Riesling such as the Washington Hills Dry Riesling, a wine with distinct fruity flavors that’s not too sweet. An alternative—less sweet and still refreshing—is a Washington Hills Chenin Blanc.
- Serving Size SERVES 6
- Calories 480
- Carbohydrate Content 35 g
- Cholesterol Content 60 mg
- Fat Content 29 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content 11 g
- Sodium Content 480 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g