Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Start the day with a healthy breakfast bar. These are full of fiber, vitamins and minerals plus omega-3 essential fatty acids from the walnuts and flaxseeds. If you can’t find ground flaxseeds, grind your own in a food processor, blender or spice grinder so their nutrients are more readily absorbed.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Lightly coat baking sheet with cooking spray; sprinkle with flaxseeds and walnuts; bake until lightly toasted, about 7 minutes. Set aside. Keep oven on.
3. In large bowl, combine oats, oat and bran cereals, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Mix well.
4. Pour buttermilk into large glass measuring cup. With fork, stir in egg, oil and orange peel until well blended.
5. Add buttermilk mixture to oat mixture and stir with rubber spatula just until moistened. Fold in dried apricots, then toasted flaxseeds and walnuts. Transfer to prepared baking pan, spreading evenly. Sprinkle top with sugar.
6. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely, then cut into 12 bars.
- Serving Size Makes 12
- Calories 176
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 19 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 200 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g