This is the inn's most popular breakfast item, and it's a very versatile recipe—sturdy enough for dinner too. Use whatever vegetables are seasonal and abundant. Serve with salsa and sour cream. Note: You must start this dish one day ahead of serving.
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 medium-sized onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut lengthwise into 2-inch-thick slices
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 10-oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach
- 2 Tbs. fresh dill
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Dash hot pepper sauce, optional
- 1 3/4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 8-inch flour tortillas
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. mustard powder
1. Grease 9x13-inch baking dish.
2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion and pepper 5 minutes, or until tender. Add garlic, and cook 2 minutes more. Stir in spinach, dill, salt and pepper; cover and cook 5 minutes, or until spinach has completely thawed. Season with pepper sauce, if desired, and stir in 3/4 cup shredded cheese.
3. Spoon 1/3 cup of spinach/veggie mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll tortilla tightly, and place seam side down in baking dish. Whisk together eggs, milk, flour and mustard powder, and pour over tortillas. Cover dish with foil, and refrigerate overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F.
5. Bake burritos 45 minutes, or until eggs are set. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese, and bake 5 minutes more, or until cheese has melted and begins to brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving with salsa and sour cream.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 400
- Carbohydrate Content: 36 g
- Cholesterol Content: 170 mg
- Fat Content: 19 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 740 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g