Classic omelet ingredients—eggs, cheese and herbs—get a stylish makeover when baked in a “nest” of whole-wheat bread.
- 6 slices whole-wheat bread, crusts removed
- 4 medium cremini mushrooms, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 green onion (white and green parts), thinly sliced (about 2 Tbs.)
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh tarragon, plus extra leaves for garnish
- 6 large eggs
- 1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 tsp. smoked or regular paprika
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position. Preheat oven to 325F. Coat 6 6-oz. ramekins with cooking spray, and place on sheet pan. Flatten each bread slice with rolling pin to 1/8-inch thickness. Line prepared ramekins with bread slices, pressing against bottom and sides, and overlapping where necessary (bread may extend over top).
- Combine mushrooms, green onion and tarragon in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, and divide among remekins. Break 1 egg carefully into each ramekin. Top with cheese and paprika; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, rotating pan after 10 minutes, or until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are still creamy. Bake slightly longer for hard-cooked yolks. Cool on rack 2 minutes, then unmold, and transfer to serving plates. Garnish with tarragon leaves, if desired.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 164
- Carbohydrate Content: 14 g
- Cholesterol Content: 218 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 428 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g