Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
The high-calcium, high-protein amaranth seeds act as a binder in this recipe. These patties are great with a tofu scramble or alone.
- In medium saucepan, combine rice and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook until rice is tender and all liquid has been absorbed, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Stir and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in another medium pan, combine amaranth, 1 1⁄2 cups water and pinch of salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook until all liquid has been absorbed and amaranth has a creamy consistency, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Stir and let cool completely.
- In large saucepan pot, bring 2 cups water and pinch of salt to a boil. Add oats and cook, stirring occasionally, until oats have absorbed all water, about 8 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In food processor, grind sunflower seeds to coarse meal. Transfer to small bowl and set aside.
- Add rice to food processor and pulse on/off until grains break up and mixture becomes sticky.
- In medium saucepan, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, celery, dried herbs and spices, 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper and pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. In large bowl, combine rice, amaranth, oats, onion-celery mixture, bread cubes, tamari or soy sauce and molasses. Shape mixture into 12 small patties.
- In large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Cook patties in batches until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. When all patties are cooked, transfer them to baking sheet and bake 15 minutes. Serve warm.
- Serving Size 6 Servings
- Calories 318
- Carbohydrate Content 41 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 120 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g