These Southwest-inspired treats are substantial enough to ward off any winter chill. Serve them as a family breakfast or brunch. Fresh apples or tangerines plus cinnamon-spiked coffee round out the meal.
- 7 oz. ground soy “sausage”
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 8- to 9-inch round tortillas
- 3/4 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups salsa
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and sliced
- Chopped scallions for garnish
- Spray nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Crumble “sausage,” and cook in skillet over medium heat about 5 minutes, stirring often. Respray skillet, and pour in eggs, stirring and lifting up eggs with spatula so eggs cook evenly. Season with salt and pepper, and remove from heat when eggs are firm.
- Put 1 tortilla on work surface. Sprinkle with 2 Tbs. cheese. Divide egg mixture into 6 equal servings, and put 1 portion on bottom half of tortilla. Fold other half over top to close. Repeat to fill remaining tortillas.
- Spray nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Put tortillas in skillet, and cook until cheese melts and tortillas turn golden, about 1 minute.
- Put quesadillas on individual plates, top each with 1/4 cup salsa and avocado slices. Garnish with scallions, and serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 390
- Carbohydrate Content: 37 g
- Cholesterol Content: 215 mg
- Fat Content: 17 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 23 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 950 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g