Almond-shaped Kalamata olives from the Kalamata region of Greece range from dark purple to black in color. They have a firm texture and a rich, fruity flavor.
- 1 12-oz. pkg. bow-tie pasta
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 4 cups broccoli florets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, chopped
- 1 6-oz. pkg. sliced mushrooms
- 1 15-oz. can garbanzo beans (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth or Chardonnay
- 1 14 1/2-oz. can Mexican-seasoned stewed tomatoes (1 3/4 cups)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Cook pasta according to package directions, and drain. Set aside in colander, and rinse occasionally with cold water to prevent sticking.
- Heat oil and crushed red pepper over medium-high heat, 1 minute, in Dutch oven or large electric frying pan. Add broccoli, onions, mushrooms, beans and olives, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add half of coriander, broth, stewed tomatoes, yeast and tomato sauce. Reduce heat to low, and cook 2 minutes. Add cooked pasta and remaining 1/4 cup coriander, and mix thoroughly. Simmer 3 minutes, or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Serving Size: SERVES 8
- Calories: 260
- Carbohydrate Content: 46 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Sodium Content: 229 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g