30 minutes or fewer
Adding the Parmesan rind during cooking is an Italian seasoning trick. Serve with crusty whole wheat bread.
- 6 green onions, cut in half
- 4 celery ribs, cut into 3-inch-long pieces
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups frozen cut Italian green beans
- 3/4 cup elbow macaroni
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 6-oz. wedge Parmesan cheese, grated, rind reserved
- Coarsely chop green onions, celery and garlic in food processor. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion mixture and pinch of salt. Sauté 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth, and bring to a boil.
- Add broccoli, green beans, macaroni, half of parsley and Parmesan rind. Cook 10 minutes over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Remove Parmesan rind. Purée soup in small batches in food processor, and return to pot. Stir in pepper to taste.
- Serve sprinkled with remaining parsley and a little grated Parmesan.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 154
- Carbohydrate Content: 19 g
- Cholesterol Content: 4 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 481 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g