In this deliciously different stew, the mildly bitter taste of the broccoli rabe is a nice complement to the starchy white beans and potatoes. Serve it in large, shallow soup bowls with hard-crusted Italian bread to soak up all the luscious sauce.
- 15-oz. can vegetable broth
- 2 cups cooked or rinsed, canned Great Northern or other white beans
- 3 medium potatoes (1 1/2 lbs.), peeled, quartered and sliced
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 2 large bunches broccoli rabe, bottom 3 inches of stems trimmed, remainder cut crosswise in half
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- In medium saucepan, combine potatoes with lightly salted water to cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover and cook until potatoes are fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and pepper flakes and cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Stir in broccoli rabe, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup water. Cover; cook until broccoli rabe is tender, stirring occasionally, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add cooked potatoes, beans and broth and mix well. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until flavors have blended and mixture is heated through, about 5 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste and serve hot.
- Serving Size: 6 servings
- Calories: 267
- Carbohydrate Content: 42 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 185 mg