Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
- In small bowl, combine shiitakes and hot water to cover. Let stand until softened, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain tofu and pat dry with paper towels. Cut into 3/4-inch cubes; pat
- dry again. In medium bowl, combine tofu, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and five-spice powder; toss gently to coat. Cover and set aside in refrigerator.
- Bring large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Cut broccoli florets into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Peel tender portion of stems and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. (You should have about 4 cups total.) Add broccoli to boiling water and cook just until bright green and crisp-tender, about 2 to 3 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold running water and drain again. Set aside.
- In small bowl, mix together cornstarch and 1 tablespoon cold water; set aside. Remove softened shiitakes from soaking water. Strain soaking water through a filter paper-lined sieve into medium bowl; stir in broth, brown sugar and remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce. Set aside. Trim and discard shiitake stems; slice caps and set aside.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu mixture and cook, shaking pan and tossing tofu, until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to plate and set aside.
- In same skillet, heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add scallions, garlic, ginger, chili paste, anise seeds and reserved shiitakes and stir-fry until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds. Add cinnamon stick and reserved broth mixture; bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to skillet; cook, stirring, until liquid has thickened, about 30 seconds. Add carrots and reserved broccoli and cook, stirring often, until carrots are tender, about 3 minutes. Add reserved tofu and toss gently to coat. Discard cinnamon stick and serve.
- Serving Size 3 to 4 servings
- Calories 243
- Carbohydrate Content 25 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 695 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g