Calcium-enriched soy milk, fresh gingerroot and garlic add extra flavor to simple, steamed broccoli. And don’t throw away your broccoli stems. Peel off the skin with a paring knife, then slice and steam the stems. Calcium per serving: 408 mg.
- 1 large head broccoli
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbs. peeled, grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 Tbs. whole wheat flour
- 1 cup calcium-fortified soy milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cut broccoli into florets. Peel stems, cut in half lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Steam broccoli until bright green and just tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low. Stir in flour and cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent browning. Gradually stir in soy milk, salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until sauce is thick and bubbly, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove broccoli from steamer and arrange on serving platter. Drizzle with sauce and serve warm.
- Serving Size: 4 Servings
- Calories: 84
- Carbohydrate Content: 4 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 31 mg