These savory vegetables are a terrific way to dress up a plain burger. If you prefer, you can cook them on the grill.
- 2 tsp. freshly ground pepper, or as needed
- 10 thick slices tomato (2 to 3 tomatoes)
- 2 tsp. salt, or as needed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 10 medium portobello mushrooms, stemmed
- 10 thick slices red or Spanish onion
- Preheat broiler. Brush oil over both sides of mushrooms and onion slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place mushrooms, stemmed end down, on broiler rack and cook 5 to 8 minutes. Turn and cook until tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Place tomato slices on top of mushrooms; broil 1 minute. Broil onions until browned but still a bit crisp, about 4 minutes per side. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: 10 servings
- Calories: 90
- Carbohydrate Content: 8 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 435 mg