Brown rice, peas and pine nuts make a tasty trio in this easy-to-make dish. Toast the pine nuts carefully by shaking the pan over medium heat. Also called pi96ones, pine nuts will brown within a few minutes, so it’s best not to leave them unattended. Look for pine nuts in your market’s bulk food section.
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 4 1/4 cups vegetable stock, boiling
- 2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 1 cup frozen green peas, cooked
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh chives
- 3 Tbs. crumbled fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1 Tbs. liquid aminos
- Place pine nuts in a small, dry saucepan, and toast over medium heat, shaking pan constantly for 2 to 3 minutes, or until nuts are lightly browned. Set aside.
- Combine stock and rice in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 40 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, and fold in green peas, chives and thyme. Stir in garlic and aminos. Top with toasted pine nuts; serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 226
- Carbohydrate Content: 41 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 127 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g