Brown rice and butternut squash make this salad a supper option that’s satisfying, yet not too heavy. Dried cherries or cranberries can be substituted for the pomegranate seeds.
- 1 1/2-cup servingServings
- 1 12-oz. pkg. cut butternut squash
- 1/2 red onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 6.5-oz. jar cooked chestnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 10.5-oz. pkg. cooked
- brown rice (2 cups)
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 11/2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen pomegranate seeds
- 1 5-oz. bag arugula, coarsely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 475°F. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss together butternut squash, onion, and 2 Tbs. oil in large bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Roast squash 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add chestnuts during last 5 minutes of baking.
2. Meanwhile, warm rice according to package directions, and toss with lemon zest in large bowl. Whisk remaining 1 Tbs. oil with vinegar in small bowl. Pour vinegar mixture over rice, and add pomegranate seeds. Stir in warm squash mixture, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Fold in chopped arugula, and serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 409
- Carbohydrate Content: 63 g
- Fat Content: 13 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 25 mg
- Sugar Content: 12 g