Like this Ayurvedic recipe and LOVE cooking? Good news for you: YJ and the Natural Gourmet Institute are sending one passionate foodie and yogi to chef school. Apply here.
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 pounds onions (5-6 medium), sauté slice
- Pinch sea salt
- 4 ripe avocadoes, peeled and pitted
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (2 limes)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 loaf whole wheat Tuscan or peasant bread, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and cut in half
- 1 teaspoon lemon oil (see recipe preceding), or to taste
1. In 12-inch sauté pan, heat oil over medium flame. Add onions and salt and sweat until onions are translucent. Lower heat and continue to sweat until onions begin to color, stirring often to prevent burning. Sweat until onions are caramelized (brown and soft), about 30-40 minutes.
2. In medium bowl, mash avocadoes coarsely with fork, adding lime juice, salt, and pepper.
3. Grill or lightly toast bread. Rub cut side of garlic on toasted bread and brush with lemon oil. Top toasts with caramelized onions and avocado.