30 minutes or fewer
These bean-topped bruschetta make a delicious antipasti or go-with for soups and salads. Makes about 1 1/2 cups purée.
- Place saucepan over medium heat and add olive oil, garlic and crushed red pepper; cook 1 minute. Add lemon zest and rosemary; cook 1 minute (reduce heat if needed to prevent garlic from browning).
- Stir in beans and 5 Tbs. reserved bean liquid; mash beans with wooden spoon against sides of pan until chunky purée forms. Stir in parsley, brown sugar and salt to taste. Heat through, stirring occasionally. Add more bean liquid if too thick.
- Spread 1 heaping Tbs. on each bruschetta; sprinkle with olive oil. Serve warm or at room temperature.
For an even more authentic taste of Tuscany, toast these on the grill.
- 12 1/2-inch-thick slices good-quality Italian bread
- 1 large clove garlic, cut in half
- Preheat broiler, and place oven rack about 6 inches from heat. Place bread on baking sheet, and broil 2 to 4 minutes, or until crisp and golden. Turn toast over, and repeat. When cool enough to handle, rub one side of each toast with cut garlic clove.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 292
- Carbohydrate Content 41 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 499 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g